Thursday, March 10, 2011

Five Weeks Late

So, it is my first post on my blog about being a mommy and considering Wriston is now a whole five weeks, 2 days old, my post is five weeks 2 days late.   Now I finally have some time to fill everyone in on my last five weeks.


I was due on January 29th, which was a Saturday.  A few weeks before my appointment, I was dilating so I figured he would not be late.  However, the 29th came and went along with the 30th and 31st.  Luckily, I had an appointment on Jan 31st to check progress and determine a date to be induced should Wriston not come on his own.  At that appointment, I saw a different Dr who suggested we do an ultrasound (this was after one of those wonderful girly exams) and then we realized Wriston was breeched.  I never cried so hard.  We decided not to try rotating him because (1) I heard it is painful -- I hate pain and (2) she said there was a 25% chance it would work.  I went home and laid in bed - at that point, I was a whole 4 cms and she said if I went into labor, we'd still do a c-section, but of course, I did not want to feel pain/contractions if it was unnecessary.  The Dr called me a few hours after I went home to tell me my c-section was scheduled for the very next day at 7:30 am.  I was told to be at the hospital at 5:30 am. 


The next morning, Stephen and I arrived at the hospital at 5:30 am and everything was timely.  By 7:30, I was rolled down to the operating room.  Wriston was born at 7:55 am.  He weighed 9 lbs, 2 oz!!  I was SHOCKED by his weight considering the Drs (at this point, I saw 5 of the 7 drs in the practice -- my Dr was on maternity leave causing me to rotate Drs) thought he would be 7 lbs, 11 oz or at least under 8 lbs.  Once they annouced his weight, I felt a little relief in not having to deliver him through the normal process!   We ended up staying in the hospital for 3 nights and we were NEVER so excited to go home. 

We are so lucky Wriston is healthy.  We are having an ultrasound done on March 15th because the hospital pediatrician and our pediatrician believe Wriston may have hip dysplasia.  Hip dysplasia can result from being breeched, but seems to be easily corrected at an early age.  We are hoping that if the ultrasound confirms this diagnosis, we will be able to move on correcting his hip quickly.  For more information on hip dysplasia, go here.  I'll keep everyone posted as we learn more.
On the lighter side of things, Wriston really has changed since he was born.  He now weighs a little over 10 lbs and seems to be an inch or so longer.  I am amazed every day by the little things - how he recognizes our voices and turns his head to look at us, how beautifully he smiles, how sweetly he coos, laughs and tries to talk and how much I love him.  He is the.most.wonderful.gift.  I am so thankful we were blessed to have him come into our lives.  I do love you Wriston Bailey.


Wriston and Mommy

1 comment: